The origins of the company date back to 1884 when Siegfried Bettman settled in Coventry after leaving Nuremberg, then part of the German Empire. Bettman sold bicycles and used the Triumph brand in this business. Subsequently, another engineer from the same German city, Maritz Schultze, joined the company. In 1896, the same city in Bavaria will also be the seat of a subsidiary to market its bicycles, the Triumph Werke Nürnberg AG. This company would later become part of Triumph-Adler AG once it was acquired by Max Grundig, founder of Grundig AG, after World War II.